Frank Packard and Packard & Yost Architects
Frank L. Packard
Sources: Columbus Public Library; Henderson, Andrew, Images of America:
Forgotten Columbus, Arcadia Publishing, 2002.
Frank Lucius Packard was born in Delaware, Ohio in 1866. He came to Columbus
in 1892, co-founding the firm of Yost (J. W. Yost) and Packard, and became
sole owner of the firm in 1899. He was president of the Columbus Chamber
of Commerce from 1919-1920, a member of the city planning commission and
was working on the Columbus Civic Center plan at his death. Packard also
drafted one of the first master plans for the Ohio State University campus,
which became somewhat controversial, included the concept of the Oval
Packard was America's foremost institutional architect, designing over
3400 buildings, including over 100 business and residential buildings
in Columbus alone. Buildings designed by Packard in the Columbus area
include: the Chittenden, Virginia and Seneca Hotels, Memorial Hall which
formerly housed the Center of Science and Industry, the Governor's Mansion,
the Columbus Country Club, and residences in Grandview Heights and Marble
Cliff and elsewhere. His style very often included arched windows and
entryways, and tall windows and columns.
Excerpt from the historical section of the OSU Master Plan document from
the Office of OSU Facilities Planning and Development:
In any case the concept-if not the name-of the [OSU]
Oval was clear in Frank Packard's 1904 Plan which was Ohio State's
first serious challenge to Olmsted's natural, picturesque theory of
campus planning. Packard's concept of a formal axis linking a new
"University Hall" to the main campus entrance at Fifteenth
Avenue lasted until the 1990's when the Wexner Center was built, and
his definition of a large, open, oval-shaped, central space, still
remains as the most carefully protected component of the campus.
The location of Lord Hall at an angle of approximately 45 degrees
to the rest of the campus is the only remnant of Packard's recommendation
for a major northwest-southeast axis connecting the Armory (which
he designed) to new athletic fields near the intersection of Lane
and Woodruff Avenues. By 1907 this axis had been blocked by the location
of the Mechanical and Electrical Laboratory (Robinson Laboratory).
This early "shelving" of the Packard Plan may be partially
explained by an observation of the time that "the Packard plans
were never followed because of their inaccuracy and disregard for
locating prospective buildings … his proposed location for Lord
Hall was shifted southwest to avoid encroachment on the woods."
Chapter 2, http://www.apo.ohio-state.edu/assets/Master_Planning/columbus/menu/
Photo 1: Columbus 400 OH920.977157 C7261, p. 37.
Photo 2: Barbara Powers presentation, Ohio Historical Connection
Photo 3: Club Men of Columbus in Caricature OH920.0772 I65c, p. 242. CCVC
095/P119, 095/P119/1911 Date 1896
Notes Began his career as an architectural apprentice for the Delaware
County surveyor in 1881 and graduated from MIT 6/1887. His civic center
plan was printed 6/27/1925.
Columbus address: 1739 S. Franklin Park