Hayes Hall was built in 1893 and is the oldest remaining building on campus. Hayes Hall was named for Rutherford B. Hayes, President of the United States, three-time governor of Ohio, and OSU Board of Trustees member. Hayes was governor when the state accepted the federal Morrill Act, which eventually established OSU. Hayes was a strong advocate for teaching mechanical education and to honor him the building began as the home of industrial arts on campus. It even had a foundry on the lower floor. Although the building was named before his death, Hayes never saw it completed. He died on January 17, 1893, and the building was first occupied on February 1. Hayes Hall is on the National Register of Historic Places.