Nathanial Wright Lord was the first Dean of the College of Engineering and served as a professor of metallurgy and mineralogy at Ohio State from 1879 until his death in 1911. Frank L. Packard designed the structure to house the Departments of Mines and Ceramics. It also served as the home of the Engineering Experiment Station, organized in 1915. The original portion of the building was completed in March 1906, with two small additions completed in 1918 and 1941. It was built on what appeared to many to be an odd angle because it was meant to face a road that was never constructed. The 61,000-square-foot building was demolished in 2009.