Toledo and Ohio Railroad Depot, including 1911 elevated platform
Address 379 Broad St W
Architect Yost and Packard
Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Depot opened April 18, 1896.
The T&OC railroad began as the Atlantic and Lake Erie in 1869. By November of 1880 it ran from
Pomeroy to Toledo. Closed 1930 - Became a Volunteers of America center July, 6, 1931
Excerpted from Wikipedia page: The Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad built the station in 1895, and it opened a year later. At that time, the tracks were at ground level on the west side of the new building, separating it from the distinctive Macklin Hotel. Yost and Packard modeled the station after the hotel's three pagoda-style towers, but added an Art Nouveau twist. In 1911, the railroad raised its tracks to eliminate grade crossings. The station was awkwardly modified, with passengers exiting the second story onto an elevated platform. In 1930, service moved to the larger Union Station and the station was abandoned. The next year, Volunteers of America purchased the building and began using it as office space. The Macklin Hotel was demolished in 1955, leaving the station standing without its original context. The station was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. It suffered a fire in 1975 which destroyed the original tile roof, but the VoA restored it three years later. The organization moved out of the building in 2003. In 2007, International Association of Fire Fighters local 67 bought and restored the station building for use as their offices and meeting hall. Norfolk Southern Railroad freight trains continue to use the elevated tracks.
T&OC station (left) and Macklin Hotel (right). Image below shows the track elevation being constructed with the Macklin in the background. The image below that shows the Macklin with trolley on West Broad Street.