This book can be obtained by contacting Ruthanne James at 614.486.6456 or
by contacting any Board member. The cost is $11.95 and all proceeds benefit
the Historical Society.
It can also be purchased online at amazon.com or bbotw.com
of the Ohio communities now known as Grandview Heights (1906) and
Marble Cliff (1901) is recounted through short vignettes and images that describe the
rich contributions of the many pioneers who settled and expanded the area.
The story of the City of Grandview Heights and the Village of Marble Cliff
is as rich
and varied as that of the diverse backgrounds of the settlers that developed the area.
Originally conceived as a summer getaway from the heat, noise and dirt of
industrial area, the woods and farms were soon converted to homesites for the wealthy.
The trolleys and railroads provided access, and the quarries along the banks of the two
enclosing rivers brought immigrants to the area to help meet the demands for the stone that
was some of the best in the midwest.
The schools and churches were part of the fabric of the communities, and the
that was established high on the bluff provided the social gathering place for the founding
This book provides a pictorial representation of the
100 year development of the two
communities between the rivers and tells the stories of the people who believed in the
possibilities of the future of what was once called the "Millionaire Suburb".
This book is a publication of the Grandview Heights/Marble Cliff Historical Society.
(Published by Infinity.com)
Sample pages (click for larger view):