Feature articles in Grandview ThisWeek Newspaper
Weekly Moment in Time Column

August, 2010 - February, 2011

View previous 6 months
February, 2010
- August, 2010


Click on an image to view a larger version

Contents

7/21 Auld Residence

7/28 WBNS-TV Towers 8/4 C. Ray Buck Park 8/11 City Council Chambers
8/18 Bob and Hazel Hexter 8/25 Belden Residence 9/1 Hugh Hindman 9/8 1933 Highlander
9/15 Brotherhood of the Rook 9/22 Louie Montenaro 9/29 G. Edwin Smith Shoe Co. 10/6 Municipal Building Addition
10/13 Edison Auditorium 10/20 Gloria Restaurant 10/27 Jim Noble 11/3 Football Field
11/10 Karns/Walcutt 11/17 Stadium Dedication 11/24 Grandview Inn 12/1 WWII Ration Books
12/8 Dee DeVictor 12/15 Higgs Dog Permit 12/22 TWA Flight 266 12/29 None Published
1/5 GHS Radio Club 1/12 1923 Basketball 1/19 John Chester 1/26 Handbills
 
  Auld Residence
This home at 2041 West Third Avenue was featured on the GH/MCHS 2001 home tour. It was built in 1910 for Frederick and Gertrude Auld. Frederick was president of the D.L. Auld Company, a custom jewelry shop. In 1912 he developed a snap-on fastener for affixing enamel company emblems to automobiles. By the 1920's the company was producing 20,000 emblems daily for both Ford and Chevrolet. During this period the Auld Company produced eighty percent of all of the automobile emblems used by the industry. For more detailed history of this home and its occupants visit our web page (www.ghmchs.org) and the follow the "Activities" link to the "Tour of Homes" link for a PDF file of the 2001 Home Tour booklet.
Back to top
  WBNS-TV Towers
The two WBNS-TV towers in Grandview Heights are a Columbus landmark, rising above the western skyline in this photograph. The 839 feet tall pyramidal shaped self-supporting tower was built in 1949. The taller candelabra tower, standing almost 1100 feet was built in 1981, and also housed many Columbus TV and radio stations. Early in the morning of December 11, 1990, three experienced hot-air balloon pilots and a student pilot were killed when their hot air balloon snagged an antenna at the top the taller tower, causing their gondola to fall to the ground below. The balloon, owned by the Bogie Inn, launched from a field near downtown, and encountered strong winds as it was trying to climb to an altitude sufficient to miss the tower.
Back to top
  C. Ray Buck Park
This cover design, by Mike Dexter, is from the October 7, 1996, "C. Ray Buck Sports Park Groundbreaking Ceremony" program.  Ray was a member of Grandview Heights City Council for seven years and belonged to numerous local organizations. He was a 42-year employee of American Electric Power (AEP) and was instrumental in negotiating AEP’s donation of the land on Goodale Boulevard for the park.  At the ceremony the deed was formally presented by the President of AEP Ohio and the park was dedicated in Ray's honor. Ray Buck passed away Tuesday, July 27, 2010. The entire 1996 program can be viewed online at http://www.ghmchs.org/tour-pages/buck.html 
Back to top
  City Council Chambers
Grandview Heights city government officials pose in the council chamber on the second floor of the of the newly completed 1963 two-story addition to the municipal building. Pictured from left: Messrs. Wolfe, Roan, Bordner, McKinley, Pierce (Mayor), Wyman (Council President), Maxson, Stafford, Friedenstine, and Ricketts. The business suits and the ashtrays on the desk were a sign of the times. The council chamber was not in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act and is no longer used for public meetings.
Back to top
  Bob and Hazel Hexter

Bob and Hazel Hexter are shown in this 1949 photo preparing to ride their tandem bicycle in a Columbus parade. Bob was the owner of Grandview Cycle, which started in his basement after he lost his tire and battery business during the depression. He later rented part of a building on West First, across from the current Grandview Library. As the business grew, it moved across the street to a building on the southwest corner of the block, and then to the northeast corner of Fifth and Broadview, across from the current Giant Eagle. While Bob and his son "Heck"  took care of the lawn mowers and bicycles, Hazel did the bookwork, some sales, a lot of cleaning, and  fixed lunch for the employees every day.

Back to top
  Belden Residence
The home in this photograph is the Cambridge Blvd. residence of Samuel B. Belden (inset), who was the general sales manager of the Jeffery Mining Company in Columbus. The house photo is from a circa 1916 brochure published by the King Thompson Company, "The Country Club District," created to showcase the new development called Upper Arlington. Mr. Belden graduated in 1895 from Engineering at Ohio State. He was born in 1872 and was a classmate of Orville Wright in high school in Dayton. Jeffrey Mining was the largest manufacturer of heavy coal mining equipment and electric locomotives in the world. Mr. Belden was very important in the business world and was touted as one of the highest salaried industrial executives of his day. He and his wife Bess travelled the world and their comings and goings were often reported in the New York Times Society pages.
Back to top
  Hugh Hindman
Richard Perrine recently compiled a history of Grandview football statistics, from 1915 through the 2007 season. As reported in ThisWeek Grandview last week, the compilation lists the scores of every game, playoff results, each year's record, and lists the coaches that worked with the teams each year. One of the coaches for Grandview, from 1950-1952 was Hugh Hindman. He played at Miami under Woody Hayes, left Grandview to work as an Assistant Coach under Hayes for seven years at Ohio State, and was the Athletic Director at Ohio State from 1977-1984. He was most known as the man that discharged the legendary coach after his thrown punch in the Gator Bowl against Clemson. Hindman is shown in this photo in 1965. The entire GHHS football history is on the Historical Society website at http://www.ghmchs.org/PDFs/GHHSFootball.pdf
Back to top
  1933 Highlander
The 1933 GHHS Highlander is perhaps one of the most regal, artistic, and unique issues ever produced. It was designed in the Art Deco style during the height of the Great Depression. The cover is royal purple with silver letters. The fly and end pages are marbled silver paper. Art students designed original section dividers that were printed, individually glued by hand in the yearbook, and then signed in pencil by each student artist. A total of six different pieces of art were in the finished yearbook. Bill Jennings, GHHS Class of 1936, designed this print for the sports section of the yearbook. The entire 1933 yearbook can be viewed on line at www.photohio.org
Back to top
  Brotherhood of the Rook

As a result of a donation from their organization, the Brotherhood of the Rooks Media Center will be dedicated in Grandview Heights High School on Friday, September 24th. The Rook fraternity was founded in 1915 and has a long history of community service both before and after high school fraternities were banned in Ohio over forty years ago. This 1957 picture of fraternity members was taken on the front porch of their house, which they financed and built themselves, at 1347 Elmwood Avenue. No new pledges were added to the organization after 1958 and by July of 1963 the clubhouse was sold. Only five of the young men in the above picture have been identified in our records and the GHMCHS would appreciate assistance in identifying the others. Please e-mail tdemaria@columbus.rr.com with any details.

(Editor's note: After this feature appeared, Gunner Riley identified the students in the photo as: Front Row – Hal Leaman, Joe Anglecor, John Christensen, Jim Herd; Second Row – Jim Rayl, Tom Henry, Jeff Forster, Bill Brownfield, Jack Yearick; Third Row – Gary Mosure, Jim Laugherty, Alex Gaudieri, Noel Morrison, Jim Noble; Fourth Row – Gunner Riley, Bill Bonifield, Kent Fulmer, Don Abbruzzese; Fifth Row – Jan Johnson, Mike Norris, Lyman Brooks, Tom Nye, Gary Jones, Fred Snider

Back to top
 

Louie Montenaro

Louie Montenaro was one of the many Italian boys that lived with their families on Glenn Avenue in Grandview. Louie was born in 1907 to Joe and Catherine Montenaro, His sister Grace married Anthony Martina, and became quite well known in the Columbus Italian community, and was an aide to Columbus Mayor Sensenbrenner. Louie worked as a caddy at the Aladdin Country Clube when he was a boy, and later excelled at boxing, winning the AAU championship, and in 1925 boxed professionally (he boxed under the name "Kid Martin"). In this photo he is shown posing with his 1931 DeSoto sedan in front of the family double on Glenn. Louie also played  football in an amateur league, and became a successful golfer. He married Margaret Crabtree in 1927, and passed away in 1984.
Back to top
 

G. Edwin Smith Shoe Co.

The G. Edwin Smith Shoe Company celebrated its 50th anniversary in Columbus, Ohio in 1948. The company was a highly regarded national manufacturer of women's shoes. The Columbus headquarters were located on West Long Street.  Mr. Smith lived in Grandview Heights with his family at 1176 Fairview Avenue from 1918 to 1965. G. Edwin is pictured here with his son Paul, and grandson G. Edwin II from a page of the company's 50th anniversary program. The Kosnik family has owned the former Smith home since 1966.
Back to top
 

Municipal Building Addition

The original Grandview Heights municipal building was built in 1924 as a firehouse and city hall. A 1936 addition added more bays to the rear of the original structure. This photograph was taken in 1963 and shows a crane and workers starting construction of a large wrap-around brick addition, which added additional offices and space for the current police department. This view was taken at the rear of the current building, facing northwest.
Back to top
 

Edison Auditorium

This photograph is from the Skeele family collection and shows their son Bradley (standing left center) with other Grandview children, on the stage of the auditorium in the Grandview Elementary School (east wing of Edison) around 1912-1913. The auditorium functioned as a community center and was used to show movies and host various community fundraisers. Preliminary research suggests that the children were part of a patriotic themed performance organized by the Grandview Brotherhood.  The Brotherhood was an early community men's organization composed of community members interested in promoting the interests of the new village.
Back to top
 

Gloria Restaurant

The Gloria Restaurant was located on Riverside Drive, just north of Trabue Road. Originally called the Gloria Barbecue, it was started in 1925 by two brothers, Sam and Rocco Delewese, and Rocco's brother-in-law Guy DeVictor. Several years later, a dance hall was added and the name was changed to the Gloria Nightclub. This WWII era photo shows Sam Delewese with his signature cigar and six of the Gloria waitresses standing in front of the door from the restaurant to the night club. The photos above the door are Gloria employees, and Delewese and DeVictor sons who were in the service. Many of the waitresses were also family members. Shown here are Helen, Flora, unknown, Sam, Dorie, Mary and Jildie. Sam Delewese passed away in 1955.
Back to top
 

Jim Noble

After many months of campaigning as "Sir Serve-A-Lot", Jim Noble was elected the Grandview Heights High School Booster President in September of 1957. He was one of seven contenders for the position. He is shown here with Lady Claudia Hamilton as he delivers his campaign speech complete with sword and shield. He promised to be a "noble knight" and serve the student body. The GHHS Booster organization was founded in 1919 to promote school spirit. Being elected as an officer by fellow GHHS students was highly coveted and involved organized campaigns, a fall assembly, campaign skits, and parades. The student Booster organization no longer exists and it is not clear when the practice was discontinued.
Back to top
 

Football Field

This undated photo shows Grandview football players playing the game on the field just north of what is now the Edison building. The view is looking  to the northeast, toward the corner of Fairview and Third. At this time, the high school was yet to be constructed, and houses occupied the lots on which it would later be built. The district purchased the land and the houses were either razed or moved. After the school opened in 1923, the land further north was purchased for the current athletic fields.
Back to top
 

Karns/Walcutt

Ralph Karns is pictured here with Laura Walcutt, his high school sweetheart and future wife. He interrupted his studies at GHHS and enlisted in the army in 1918 shortly after the United States entered WWI. Fellow classmate Albert Long joined him.  Both men served in the heavy artillery division in France. They survived the war, resumed their studies, and both graduated with the GHHS Class of 1920.  Laura's older bother Oscar was not so fortunate. He died of wounds he received two days before the armistice was signed on November 11, 1918.
Back to top
 

Stadium Dedication

This program and lapel pin are from the October 7, 1938 dedication ceremony of the GHHS Stadium (shown in a 1938 photo in the overlay).  The program was printed by the Industrial Arts Department of the high school. Facts about the stadium printed in the program stated that it cost $26,831. The federal government (through the WPA program) contributed $20,000, the City of Grandview Heights $6,831, contributions amounted to $3,491, and the amount of indebtedness was $3,340. A pencil notation on the program indicates that Grandview beat the Westerville South football team 25 to 7 in the first game played in the new stadium. The program comes from the recently acquired collection of Bob Keitz.
Back to top
 

Grandview Inn

The menu pictured here is from one of the final reincarnations of one of Columbus's most legendary restaurants. The Grandview Inn (inset) was located at 1135 Dublin Road on the site of the Walcutt family homestead. It served as a venue for live jazz and was known for its high caliber dining. The menu is not dated but at the time the owner was Oliver Rossetti and the Chef de Cuisine was Dieter Wisenberg. A filet of sole cost $9.95 and beef tenderloin with truffle sauce cost only $12.50. The restaurant was closed, briefly used as a church, and then razed to make way for a Tim Hortons in 2001.
Back to top
 

WWII Ration Books

Pictured here are World War II ration books and a Tip-Top Bread Ration Book Cover. Rationing was a way of life during WWII and was regulated by the USA Office of Price Administration. A series of four different books were issued depending on the commodity being rationed. "Book Four" featured here was issued in October of 1943. The book had 8 pages of 384 stamps in blue, red, green and black. Green stamps were used along with blue stamps for foods such as juice, baby food, and bottled fruit.  Red stamps were used for meats. Each item in a store would have a price and a corresponding coupon value.  Purchases could not be made without the appropriate stamp. The books are from a bequest to the Historical Society by the St. Clair family, formerly of 967 Broadview Avenue.
Back to top
 

Dee DeVictor

Dolores Ann "Dee" De Victor was a member of the GHHS Class of 1947. She was the high school majorette during her junior and senior years. She personalized this photograph and gave it to Joyce Jones, her L.A.L. Sorority sister, in 1945. Somehow she managed to smile and hold a striking pose despite the fact that the snow on the ground indicates that it was cold outdoors when this picture was taken.
Back to top
 

Higgs Dog Permit

Pleasant Barton Higgs and her husband Frank were early Grandview residents. They lived at what is now 1219 Lincoln Road. Pleasant was the village clerk and water meter reader. The family's love of dogs was well known and documented in an early issue of the Norwester Magazine (online at the society website at http://www.ghmchs.org/whos-who/higgs.html) On July 16, 1917 they were issued the DOG PERMIT #2305 shown above. It was good for one week and authorized the conductors and motormen to carry the Higgs' dogs, properly muzzled, on the front platform of the streetcar. Streetcars were the main means of transportation at the time. Automobiles were a rarity. 
Back to top
 

TWA Flight 266

The memorial in this photograph from the L Magazine was dedicated in Green-Wood Cemetery in Brooklyn, New York last week on December 16. It was unveiled fifty years to the day and at the precise time that TWA Flight 266 from Columbus to New York collided in mid-air over New York City with United Airlines Flight 826 from Chicago. The TWA Super-G Constellation from Columbus crashed in a field in Staten Island while the United Airlines DC-8 crashed in the residential neighborhood of Park Slope in Brooklyn. None of the 128 passengers and crew of the two airliners survived, and 6 people on the ground died.  Marble Cliff residents Gary and Mary Meyers died in the crash, leaving their five children as orphans. Gary was only 38 years old and was the president of Highlights for Children magazine, which was located in Marble Cliff. He was also president of the Grandview Heights City Schools Board of Education.  Their residence was the historic, white carpenter-gothic home at 1600 Roxbury Road.
Back to top
 

GHS Radio Club

Shortwave radio communication grew rapidly in the 1920's, much like the Internet grew in the late 20th century. Amateur enthusiasts formed clubs across the United States and abroad. Members of the 1924 GHHS Radio Club, formed in 1922, are shown in this photo. Each member strived to obtain his amateur radio operator's license. Major accomplishments for 1924 included the design and calibration of a wave meter and a testing board for evaluating receiving circuits. Though not implicitly stated, descriptions from the GHHS yearbooks at the time imply that the Radio Club was for boys only.
Back to top
 

1923-24 Basketball

The 1923-1924 Grandview High School basketball season was the best ever up to that point in time. Both the boys' and girls' teams won county championships. It was the first season that the old high school gymnasium (the current high school auditorium) was used. Frank "Dude" Higgs Jr. is pictured above in the back row on the far left of the boy's championship team. His brother-in-law Ira Stanton Jones coached both teams that season. Frank Higgs was the real-life inspiration for Milton Caniff's cartoon character Dude Hennick in the comic strip "Terry and the Pirates". 
Back to top
 

John Chester

John Jonas Chester was a prominent Columbus attorney. Born in Newark Ohio in 1860, he was also an enthusiastic outdoorsman and real estate developer. In 1892 he purchased over three hundred lots in what would become in 1906 Grandview Heights. His development was called "Chester Heights", and its boundaries were present-day Elmwood Avenue to the east, Lincoln Avenue to the west, First Avenue to the north, and Goodale Boulevard to the south. In 1892 he also became a charter member of the "Bit and Bridal" riding club, whose members used the Urlin farmhouse, where Summit Chase is located today, as their club house. It was the first country club in central Ohio. John's son John Jr. also was an attorney and gained notoriety as the prosecuting attorney during the 1929 murder trial of Dr. James H. Snook, a prominent O.S.U. professor who was executed for murdering his mistress, an O.S.U. medical student.
Back to top
 

GHS Handbills

Ninety years ago, before Twitter, Facebook, and e-mail, handbills like the one shown here were an effective way to mass market and inform citizens in Grandview Heights and Marble Cliff of activities in the area. This particular handbill was to promote the 1922 Grandview High School senior class play that was performed in the auditorium, which at the time existed in the east wing of what is now the Edison Intermediate Middle School. It was printed in the high school on thin inexpensive paper. Other handbills in the Historical Society archives include announcements for GHS sporting events, numerous other plays, dance recitals, student concerts, and local political campaigns. 
Back to top
   
 

 

 

 

 

 


View next 6 months
February, 2011 - August, 2011

Go to Main ThisWeek Listing