Feature articles in Grandview ThisWeek Newspaper
Weekly Moment in Time Column

February, 2017 - August, 2017

View previous 6 months
August, 2016 - February, 2017


Click on an image to view a larger version

Contents
2/1 Ralph Guglielmi 2/8 Coach Robin Priday 2/15 Scioto Country Club Transportation 2/22 Lowell Riley and Vaud-Villities
3/1 Jack and Jill Playground 3/8 Nick the Barber 3/15 Bank Block Merchants' Fall Festival 3/22 John Buscemi
3/29 Broadview Hill Trolley Tracks 4/5 1923 Map 4/12 Aerial View of Marble Cliff 4/19 Aladdin Country Club Site
4/26 Dorothy Butterworth      
       

 

     
       
 
  Ralph Guglielmi

Grandview Heights High School graduate and College Football Hall of Fame member Ralph Guglielmi passed away on Monday, January 23rd. Guglielmi, who lived on Thomas Road and graduated from GHHS in 1951, was a 4-year, 3-sport letterman (he was all-CBL for two years in basketball), and was an honor student who also participated in other school activities. After graduation from Grandview, he went to college at Notre Dame, where he played quarterback for the Fighting Irish and earned all-American honors. He was 4th in voting for the Heisman trophy in 1954. He was drafted in the first round by the Washington Redskins of the National Football League, and he played 66 games in the pros for the Redskins, St. Louis, New York Giants, and ending his career in 1963 at Philadelphia. After his football career, he owned auto dealerships and restaurants in the Baltimore and Washington D.C. area. He retired in 2003 to North Carolina. This photo was signed for Grandview teacher and coach Emily Peterson.

Back to top
  Coach Robin Priday

Robin Priday was a longtime coach at Grandview Heights High School, starting in 1954 as assistant to head coach Bob Dudley. The following year, Dudley left Grandview for the college ranks, and Priday took the reins as head coach, and started his career that season with a 9-0 record. Priday had served as a pilot in the second world war, which had interrupted his college football career with Ohio State, under legendary coach Paul Brown. He was on the second team when the Buckeyes won the 1942 national championship, and started as quarterback on the 1945 OSU squad. After graduation, he coached at Mt. Sterling, Wilmington, and Troy before coming to Grandview. He started the track program at GHHS, and retired from coaching in 1966 to become the junior high school principal. He retired from the district in 1980 and was inducted to the GHHS Sports Hall of Fame in 1994. Priday died on the 12th of January at 93 years of age. He is shown in this photo from the 1958-59 yearbook with team captains Bob Foster and Tom Nye, and assistant coaches Richard “Hoppy” Hopkins and Harry Householder.

Back to top
  Interurban Serving Scioto Country Club

The Arlington Country Club, located in Marble Cliff, was a 9-hole golf course that had existed since it was established as the Arlington Golf and Riding Club in 1895. Several of the high profile members of the Club wanted to establish an 18-hole course nearby, and the Scioto Country Club was established in 1915 on the grounds of the Miller Farm in what would become Upper Arlington. Members of the newly formed country club travelled by car to the facility, but many relied on public transportation, which was by rail. Two companies served the area: the Columbus, Urbana, and Western Electric Railway operated an “interurban” car from Gay and High downtown, and the Columbus Railway Power and Light in 1917 added service that would stop near the entrance to the club. This photo shows one of the interurban cars on Dublin Pike (Riverside Drive), seen through the trees that lined the entrance to Scioto CC, looking across the stone wall that was built from the quarries just to the east. The quarries were so close that the stone dust often settled on the greens of the golf course.

Back to top
  Lowell Riley and Vaud-Villities

Lowell Riley began his musical career in 1934, when he started at WBNS Radio. He advanced to Musical Director at the station. Since 1945, he and his wife Beth lived at 1389 Arlington Avenue in Marble Cliff. He served as the choir deirector at First Community Church, and also taught vocal music at Grandview and Arlington High Schools for several years around this time. He was later hired as the full-time organist and music director at First Community, a position he served in until 1971. He was instrumental in many of the choir activities, including the Christmas Eve service, the Cloister Choir, and the Church's Childrens Choir. His daughters were part of that choir. In 1942, he founded Vaud-Villities, which began as a minstrel show with the Men's Glee Club from the Church, followed with the addition of the Cloister Choir the following year. He realized that he needed accompaniment help, so he added Dr. Bob Murphy, who is best known as an Arlington physician who founded the Department of Sports Medicine at Ohio State, where he also served as team physician. Vaud-Villities became very popular, eventually moving downtown to Veterans Memorial Auditorium in 1961. Shown in this photo are the "dual pianos" of Riley (left) and Murphy.

Back to top
  Jack and Jill Playground

In 1966 the playground across from R.L. Stevenson school was outfitted with new playground equipment. The playground was designed around equipment purchased from the Miracle Playground Equipment Co. out of Grinnel, Iowa (a section of their brochure showing the different equipment and a sample layout is inset.) The playground, named the Kiddie Korral, was the brainchild of Mayor Wyman, and was funded with donations from residents coordinated by the Ohio National Bank on First Avenue. This photo shows Mayor Wyman discussing the installation with some parents, shown behind children playing on the “Jack and Jill” climbing and sliding installation. Other installations in the playground included the Dome Whirl, the Flying Pony swing, and the Mustang Whirl, along with other swings and slides and an all-purpose shelter. This photo is from the center of the playground looking west toward the intersection of Oxley Road and First Avenue, with the school to the right of the scene.

Back to top
  Nick the Barber

Nicholas Botti (“Nick the Barber”) was born in Rutino, Italy in 1887 and arrived in Columbus, Ohio when he was 16. He initially worked in his sponsor family’s grocery store (he was taken in by the Adorno family, who had lost a son Nicholas), spent time working in the Carmen Spaghetti factory on Goodale., and finally settled on being a barber. His first barbershop was located on Goodale in Flytown, and was known as Nick’s Place. He relocated his family to Grandview Heights and opened The Village Barbershop at 1668 West First Avenue in 1920. His shop occupied the east side of the building , and the west side of his building was leased to various tenants. Botti became a master gardener and maintained a garden to the rear of his barbershop. He was especially renowned for the quality of his strawberries and grapes. Nick Botti died in 1974 at the age of 87. A hair salon directly across from the Grandview Library currently occupies the building that housed his barber shop.

Back to top
  Bank Block Merchants' Fall Festival

This undated photograph shows the north end of the Grandview Avenue Bank Block, looking southwest from the then vacant east side of Grandview Avenue. The building at the far right, now the home of Cameron Mitchell’s The Avenue Steak Tavern, housed an ice cream store and The New Far East Chinese restaurant. Across the alley, in the space currently occupied by Spagio European & Pacific Rim Cuisine, is Robbins Five and Dime and the Kroger Grocery and Baking Co. Next door to Kroger is another of the grocery chains in the Bank Block, the Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company, also known as A&P. A&P offered meat and produce and in 1936 adopted the self-serve supermarket concept. To the south of A&P is the Carl G. Ludwig general store in the space originally occupied by Frank P. Hall Hardware. The street is decorated for the Bank Block Merchants’ Fall Festival, which was held in October each year.

Back to top
  John Buscemi

John Buscemi is shown here pouring a Gambrinus draft beer at his bar, Johnnie’s Glenn Avenue Grill in Grandview. Johnnie’s was originally a grocery store, and added a bar/restaurant in an adjacent room when Joseph and Angelina Scono (Sconciafurno) bought it in 1934. Buscemi bought it from the Sconos in 1943, and it has been a neighborhood bar since. His sons John and James bought it in 1960. Gambrinus beer (or Gam beer) was brewed by the August Wagner Breweries at Sycamore and Front in the Brewery District. They operated from the turn of the century until 1974, with Gambrinus, Robin Hood, and Augustiner the three main beers marketed locally.

Back to top
  Broadview Hill Trolley Tracks

The development of Grandview Heights and Marble Cliff was enhanced by the trolley system, which allowed riders to come from downtown in just over a quarter of an hour. The trolley ran from downtown Columbus, across the river and west on Goodale Boulevard, heading up Broadview Avenue hill, shown in this c1910 photo, before turning down First Avenue to Arlington Avenue, eventually moving into Upper Arlington. The house in the left foreground (1101 Broadview) was built in 1906 by Claude K. Seibert, an executive with the John Hancock Life Insurance Co. and the 4th Grandview mayor, serving from 1915 to 1919. He also was the president of the Fifth Avenue Floral Co. Next to the Seibert home is the Frank A. Howell home, and next to it is the Dr. George Frankenberg home (his daughter Marie was married to Mr. Howell). The stone pillars in the foreground frame the drive to the Frank Byers Howell family properties, later developed in 1957 by Anthony Amicon as Broadview Terrace. Transcripts of interviews with early Grandview residents indicate that local kids sometimes greased the tracks as a prank so that the trolleys had difficulty climbing the Broadview hill.

Back to top
  1923 Map - Columbus Boundaries

As the 19th century drew to a close, the Columbus metropolitan area began taking shape. Along the boundaries of the Columbus corporate limits, the suburbs began to take shape. Between 1885 and 1900, developers had platted 41 subdivisions on the fringes of the city. The 12 subdivisions in the northwest would become part of Marble Cliff (2) and Grandview Heights (10), which would be incorporated in 1901 and 1906, respectively. Nine of the others were part of Bexley and Linden Heights. Through the use of restrictive covenants, the developers selectively restricted land use and raised the standards of real estate by cost and location. Marble Cliff reduced its size by two thirds in 1903, with about half of the detachment becoming the heart of Grandview Heights and the rest going to the county. Grandview annexed additional land in 1911, 1912, and 1922. In 1921, Columbus tried aggressively to capture the subdivisions through annexation, and were rejected at the polls. They tried again in 1931 to annex Grandview, and were again stifled. This 1923 map shows the impact of the split of land from Marble Cliff, as the “finger” of Columbus annexation captured the taxes associated with business development along Fifth Avenue from the Olentangy to the east boundary of Upper Arlington (Marble Cliff and Grandview are shaded gray). In 1956, Grandview annexed 426 acres of township land along Dublin Road on the southeast boundary, adding significantly to the tax base, but the decision was not popular with Columbus city leaders, and the annexation was overturned by the county commissioners the following year.

Back to top
  Aerial View of Marble Cliff

This April, 1959 photo was taken by the Thomas Engineering and Surveying Co. of the north side of the Village of Marble Cliff. At the far right is the Scioto River, with Dublin Road adjacent to it. The quonset style building fronting the railroad tracks was the Ohio Department of Natural Resources building (just above the Columbia Gas System Service Co. building, now the NiSource Co.) The road running diagonally across the bottom of the photo is Fifth Avenue, and it intersects at the left with Cambridge Boulevard. Trinity United Methodist Church can be seen at that corner. A block west (to the right) is Arlington Avenue. On the west side of Arlington Avenue at Cardigan Road is the former St. Raphael Home for the Aged, which included the Samuel Bush mansion. A condominium development was built on that property, but the Bush mansion was saved and renovated as part of the development. The street to the right of the building is Roxbury, and the Our Lady of Victory Church is seen on that corner. The large mansion below the church, facing the circular driveway, was the Sheldon-Wallick mansion, built by early Marble Cliff resident Butler Sheldon and later owned by the Columbus Deshler Hotel manager Adrian Wallick. The mansion would become part of the Roxbury Arms Apartment complex a few years after this photograph was taken.

Back to top
  Aladdin Country Club Site

This aerial photo was taken in the late 1950s, looking east, and shows the former site of the Aladdin (Arlington) Country Club at the lower right. The club started in 1895 as a riding club, and later developed a 4-hole golf course on the site. It expanded to nine holes and operated until 1925. The clubhouse was located at the base of the curved entrance road. At the left side of the photo is the mansion known as the Casparis Castle. The main Scottish-style house is flanked by a carriage house with a 5-story tower attached. It was built by Marble Cliff resident and Marble Cliff Quarry owner Sylvia Casparis in 1908. The site was developed by Ron Pizzuti as 10 Arlington Place (because the mansion was on Plat #10 of the Arlington Place subdivision) in the early 1980s. The street above the country club site is Arlington Avenue. In the center of the photo on the east side of Arlington Ave. is the complex built by Columbus brewer Carl Hoster, and at the upper right is the sanctuary of First Community Church, before the expansion increased its footprint along Cambridge Blvd.

Back to top
  Dorothy Butterworth

Dorothy Louise Butterworth is shown with her bicycle near the family home at 1227 Lincoln Road, c1915. Dorothy graduated from Grandview High School in 1917, and from Ohio State in 1922. She was the granddaughter of Henry Butterworth, a prominent Columbus businessman who owned Butterworth and Sons and Butterworth Fur Company and lived at the corner of Urlin and Merrick. Her uncle was Frank Butterworth, who built a half dozen residences in Grandview before falling down an elevator shaft and dying (he lived in a home on the southwest corner of First and Lincoln). Dorothy’s father was Charles (wife Louise), who was elected the first Clerk of Grandview in 1906, and was appointed Village Marshal in 1907. Dorothy married Roy Sebring from Genoa Township near Westerville in 1937, and died in 1980.

Back to top
   
 


View next 6 months
August, 2017 - February, 2018

Go to Main ThisWeek Listing