Feature articles in Grandview ThisWeek Newspaper
Weekly Moment in Time Column

August, 2017 - February, 2018

View previous 6 months
February, 2017 - August, 2017


Click on an image to view a larger version

Contents

9/13 First and Oakland

9/20 Knotty Pine Interior 9/27 George Linn 10/4 Deyo-Davis
       
       
       
       
       
   
 
  First and Oakland
This aerial photograph from the early 1950s is looking northeast from above the Grandview Library at the intersection of First Avenue and Oakland Avenue. At the top of the photo is the current middle school, before the classroom addition was built on the south side, and before the multipurpose building was added to the north side. At the bottom left of the photo is the Trinity United Methodist Church on Ashland just north of First, which moved to the current 5th and Cambridge location in 1951. At he bottom right is the former building which housed the Grandview Cycle Shop, and across Oakland is a filling station; both properties now serve the Grandview Library. Across First from those buildings are a vacant lot that was a filling station, and the Gaudieri Cleaners building, which was later occupied by the Celeste realty company before residences were built there. Glass Plumbing, the business with the longest continuous operation in Grandview, occupied the building on First Avenue at the lower left.
Back to top
  Knotty Pine Interior
Biase Ciccone and his wife Maria opened their grocery store in a building on the corner of Westwood and Third Avenue in 1933. The building formerly housed a Kroger grocery store, then a shoe repair and barber shop. Two years later, Biase opened a tap room in the west half of the building, leaving the market to be operated by Maria on the east side. For reasons that are obvious in this photo, he called it the Knotty Pine. Biase (inset) operated it until his death in 1958 with help from his son Gildo in his final years, and it was later purchased by his son-in-law Carl Scartz, who renamed it Carl's Knotty Pine. This 1937 photo shows waiter Albert Rosetti and waitress Mary Dello, with Maria standing behind the customers, and her daughter Louise in the back at the cash register.
Back to top
  George Linn

George Linn graduated from Grandview High School in 1952, having excelled in 4 sports (baseball, football, golf, and basketball). It was his abilities in basketball that caught the attention of new University of Alabama coach Johnny Dee, who recruited several players from Ohio to play at the SEC school. Linn went on to achieve first-team All American honors in 1956, and was honored in January of this year as an Allstate SEC Legend. In 1955, in a game between Alabama and North Carolina, Linn gathered in a rebound as time expired in the first half, turned and fired the ball the length of the court, making the shot as the buzzer sounded. The 85 feet, 11 inches shot was for many years the longest in NCAA history. A brass marker was placed in the floor of the Alabama court to commemorate (shown in the lower right) the shot. In this photo, Linn reenacts the shot from the location it was launched (an Alabama assistant coach had run on to the court after the shot and scratched a mark in the floor where it was taken). The upper right photo shows senior captain Linn in the center (#99) with his Bob Dudley coached Grandview team, and the center inset photo shows him in action taking a shot in a game against Bexley in 1952. Linn also was an alternate on the 1956 gold-medal winning Olympic basketball team, and later that year was drafted to play for the Boston Celtics in the NBA.

Back to top
  Deyo-Davis

One of the original homes on First Avenue in the 1920s, 1578 West First Avenue was purchased by Mr C.L "Whitey" Deyo in 1941. He opened his business as Deyo Funeral Home and started a tradition of personal funeral service to the Tri-Village area. In 1959 Mr Deyo was joined by Ivan L. Davis and the partnership of Deyo-Davis Funeral Home was formed. Mr. Davis is one of the oldest active licensed funeral directors and embalmers in the state of Ohio. After the death of Mr. Deyo in 1964, Mr. Davis took over the service to the community with the name remaining the same. Ivan was later joined by his son, Jeffery, who received his funeral director's license in 1980. With expansion to the original home on West First Avenue and added parking facilities the partnership continued its tradition of personal service to the families of the Tri-Village area. The property is now being sold, with plans for a residential complex to be built on the site.

Back to top
   
 


View next 6 months
February, 2018 - August, 2018

Go to Main ThisWeek Listing