August, 2019 - February, 2020
February, 2019 - August, 2019
Click on an image to view a larger version
|8/28 Gutches Grandview Market||9/4 Sohio Station||9/11 RL Stevenson Flag Raising|
|9/18 John E. Price Home||9/25|
|Adrian Wallick Family|
|Adrian Lafayette ("Doc") and Marybelle Currie Wallick are shown here at the main staircase in the Wallick mansion on Roxbury Road, with their children in this 1922 photo from the Wallick family archives. The children are, left to right: twins Louis and Currie, Adrian Jr., Mary Belle, and Nancianna. The mansion was built around 1910 by influential Marble Cliff resident and Columbus businessman Butler Sheldon. It was purchased in 1917 by Doc Wallick, who with his brother Lou was the owner of the Deshler Hotel at Broad and High in downtown Columbus and the Secor Hotel in Toledo. Doc Wallick was educated as a dentist in Chicago and practiced in Louisiana. He made his money as a successful businessman, serving as the Vice President and General Manager of the hotels for his wealthy brother, who lived in New Jersey. His son, Adrian Jr. was later the proprietor of A. L. Wallick Refractories on Johnstown Road on the east side of the city. Wallick called his home Shalimar.|
Gutches Grandview Market was one of many neighborhood grocery stores located around Grandview Heights and Marble Cliff. It was located at the corner of First Avenue and Oakland in the former Celeste Realty building, which was razed to build condominiums. The building later housed Gaudieri's Cleaners and Tailor Shop, and for a short time housed the Grandview Public Library. This early photo shows Mr. Gutches in his delivery car, and a sign in the window advertising Furnas Ice Cream. The Furnas Ice Cream Co. was started in Indiana, and later partnered with Velvet and the Borden Co.
|The Standard Oil Company Ohio purchased the lot at the southeast corner of Fifth Avenue and Cambridge Blvd in Marble Cliff in the early 1920s. They constructed this innovative station in the Tudor architectural style in 1926. for nearly fifty years, the company operated the repair shop and gasoline station to serve the tri-village area. The design of the building, with the multiple repair bays and drive-thru pumping bay, was a major variation from the traditionally smaller stations that existed before the emergence of Standard Oil as a dominant player in the gas and oil retail industry to serve the expanding automobile as a transportation mode. In 1975 the station closed and the building was purchased by C-G Realty and renovated as a commercial office and retail space. In 1985 it was purchased by Barbara Lach, according to the Franklin County Auditor. The main building is currently the home of the Cambridge Tea House which opened in September of 2009.|
|RL Stevenson Flag Raising|
Students at Robert Louis Stevenson School at the corner of First Avenue and Oxley Road participate in the raising of the flag donated by the Daughters of Veterans of the Civil War in this 1928 photograph. The district purchased the land in 1924, but a proposed $175,000 levy to build the new elementary school was defeated in the November, 1924 elections, and the district was forced to go to half-day sessions in grades one to three. The issue was again placed on the ballot in November of 1925, and this time it passed. The district opened the school (for 1st and 2nd grades) with a 2 room portable building that was originally on the high school site during its construction. Named by the children, R.L. Stevenson School was built in 1926 and initially had 12 rooms (the middle section of the building in the 1932 photo in the inset). Four rooms were added to each end of the building in 1930, and an annex was built behind it in 1971 to house the kindergarten. The school now houses grades K-3 and serves 323 students in its 20 classrooms.
|John E. Price Home|
This stately home was the residence of John E. Price, one of the founders of what is now Marble Cliff. His father was Columbus businessman Timothy J. Price, who built a summer home for himself, and residences for his daughter Mary Jane and his son John on adjacent lots near Fifth Avenue and Roxbury. In 1889 John Price and his brother-in-law Charles Griswold purchased the entire ridge above the Scioto River from Fifth Avenue to the Country Club near First Avenue, and with T. J. Price developed it into what was then called Arlington Place, which later became Marble Cliff. The view of the home is looking southeast from the railroad tracks at the bottom of the hill on Fifth at what is now the entrance to First Community Village. Records indicate that the house was destroyed in about 1914 and local lore indicates that it burned. The elder Price's home was moved to the corner of Arlington and Cardigan.
View next 6 months
February, 2020 - August, 2020
Go to Main ThisWeek Listing