Feature articles in Grandview ThisWeek Newspaper
Weekly Moment in Time Column

February, 2007 - August, 2007

View previous 6 months
August, 2006 - February, 2007


Click on an image to view a larger version

Contents
Nesbitt Girls 2/1 View of Fifth Avenue 2/8 Grandview Gas Stations 2/15 Aerial view of Grandview Terrace 2/22
Mary Jane Price Griswold 3/1 Midnight at the Arlington 3/8 Urlin Hunting Party 3/15 Julius Stone & Sons 3/22
OLV Academy 3/29 Herrick & Reed 4/5 Ezio Cherubini 4/12 Pugh Residence 4/19
Twin Rivers Golf Course 4/26 Grandview Mens Club 5/3 Lanman Mansion 5/10 5th Avenue Stagecoach 5/17
Nick Botti 5/24 RLS 3rd Grade Opera 5/31 Grandview Turtle 6/7 Ruth Willoughby 6/14
Wilkinson Residence 6/21 I-670 Interchange 6/28 Girls on Bikes 7/5 Emily Moelchert 7/12
7/19 Mary Leaman 7/26 - Dude and the Lindenbergs    
  Nesbitt Girls
Fred, Frances, and Betty Nesbitt (left to right) are shown standing in front of their grandfather Howell’s rose pergola at 1082 Broadview Avenue around 1914. Their mother Louise Howell Nesbitt is inside the pergola. The Nesbitt family home at 1049 Grandview Avenue, shown in the 1911 photograph (inset), was originally part of the extensive Howell family estate and was a wedding gift from Louise's father. It is located across the street from the entrance to the Grandview Heights Municipal Building. Betty, the last surviving grandchild, died last month at 99 years of age. She graduated from GHHS in 1925 and attended The Ohio State University. She married William F. Aschinger, Jr. whose family owned and operated the Columbus Showcase Co. The original factory was built on property acquired from the Sells Circus on Fifth Avenue near Olentangy River Road and was recently razed and replaced by the Meridian apartment complex.
Back to top
  Early View of Fifth Avenue

The location of this dog playing on a sand pile was erroneously identified in our archival database as being the current site of Trinity Methodist Church at the southwest corner of Cambridge Blvd. and Fifth Avenue. After research analysis of the photograph, it has been determined to be a panoramic view looking southeast towards Arlington Avenue from the future site of Roxbury Road north of Fifth Avenue in Upper Arlington. The greenhouse, houses, and barns (left in the image) line Fifth Avenue.  The large three-story Victorian foursquare house to the right of the greenhouse is the home at 1564 Arlington Avenue, which was built in 1903. There is evidence to suggest that the greenhouse was part of the Fifth Avenue Florist Company, one of the most successful and longstanding floral businesses in Columbus. Founded by Claude Seibert, Grandview Heights entrepreneur and mayor from 1915-1919, the florist’s greenhouses were recorded to be on Fifth Avenue and the original retail shop was on East Broad Street.

Back to top
Early Grandview Service Stations
In the early days of the automobile, gasoline was poured by hand from a storage container into the tank of the car. This changed when John Tokheim patented the Tokheim Visible Measuring Pump early in the 20th century. It was originally used to dispense cider and vinegar, but was modified to be used as a gasoline pump, and this resulted in the proliferation of the gasoline service station. Grandview had its share of these new gas stations, including the four featured in this photo composition. The lower left image shows Norman Reed, son of the Grandview Village Marshal, at the Red Crown station on West First near Fairview leaning on an early Tokheim Visible Pump. Later on First at Fairview was Harry Walcutt's Tri-Village Tire and Battery (upper left) also showing the Tokheim Pumps in the drive through bay. The Grandview Tire and Battery station (lower right) was recently razed to build the condominiums at Third and Grandview. Arch Yost's Boulevard Service Station was located near the post office on Grandview Avenue on the site of the shopping center that houses Caribou Coffee. His tow truck is shown at the upper right.
Back to top
  Aerial View of Broadview and Grandview Terrace
The aerial photo above was taken in 1960 from the air above Wyman Woods, looking toward the west. Grandview's Municipal Building, before the office addition was added in 1963, can be seen at the lower right . The area between Grandview Avenue (bottom), Goodale Blvd. (left) and the Broadview hill (top) shows the subdivision development that started in the earliest days of Grandview history (1832) and culminated with the 1957 Broadview Terrace (upper right). Grandview's earliest building, the Franklin County Poorhouse, is the home in the center of the photo. Note the green space at the corner of Goodale and Broadview at the center left, before homes were built there in 1963 and 1965 and most recently in 1994.
Back to top
  Mary Jane Price Griswold
Mary Jane Price (lower left), the second child of Timothy J. and Mary Roberts Price, was born in Utica, New York in 1839 and moved to Columbus with her family in 1864. She married Charles Courtland Griswold, owner of Griswold and Sohl, world famous manufacturers of carriage accessories. Their estate, Dolgradog (Welsh for Lord of the Valley), shown from three views, was on Roxbury where the French Quarter is currently located. Noted philanthropists and society mavens, they amassed a large fortune and entertained lavishly. One circa 1900 garden party included 300 guests who were transported by 2 special trains from Columbus to Marble Cliff. A special dance pavilion was built for the occasion and the grounds lit with tiny lights. The local press reported that guests were received by Mary Jane, dressed in black silk and diamond ornaments, and dined al fresco. Mary Jane gave $400,000 in memory of her husband to build the Griswold Memorial Building of the YWCA in 1926. She also left large sums to the Salvation Army, Girl Scouts, Camp Fire Girls, and the YMCA. Her major impact on local history was her bequest of large tracts of land along Dublin Road to the Village of Marble Cliff. The land was sold to commercial interests and provided a sound tax base for the village.
Back to top
  Midnight at the Arlington Riding Club
This photograph is from a 1929 copy of "Soundings" a publication of the Columbus Junior League. It shows the race track at the Arlington Country Club from around 1900. The country club was a large complex consisting of a club house, dance hall, stables, and a race track. It was the first country club in central Ohio and was located south of Third Avenue and west of present day Arlington Avenue, which did not extend south of Third until 1923. The building in the background with the large chimney is the dance hall. The original caption reads, "Helen Brown chaperoned by Paul Loving shows "Midnight" at the Arlington Country Club". Naming a white horse "Midnight" is still a humorous curiosity. Horse racing and other horse related activities were the main events at the country club at the time, and golf did not become a prominent feature until approximately 1905.
Back to top
  Urlin Hunting Party
The rustic hunting campsite photograph was provided by the granddaughter of George Urlin, Grandview Heights entrepeneur and pioneering developer. Urlin and his business associates were responsible for laying out the plan for much of what would become the original Grandview village. George is reclining in the foreground with his dog and shotgun and his wife Alice is standing on the left with her gun. The other individuals are not identified, but the man wearing an apron standing near the camp stove is assumed to be a domestic. The large hanging buck waiting to be dressed suggests that Mr. Urlin was a serious hunter as well as businessman. The location and date of the photograph are not known but presumed to date prior to 1900.
Back to top
  Julius Stone & Sons
Julius Stone, Sr. (seated right) and his sons Julius Jr, George, and Franz playing chess around 1914. Julius Stone was an internationally renowned explorer, scientist, entrepreneur, and philanthropist. Famous in their own right,  Julius Jr. is credited with saving Key West from financial ruin in 1935 and George piloted the first plane to land at Don Scott Field in 1942. A colonel in the Civil Air Patrol, George died in a plane crash at the age of 46. The Stone estate occupied most of the acreage on the west side of Westwood south of Bluff. Julius lived there for 38 years with his sons, wife Edna, and daughters Theodora and Natalia before moving to Santa Monica, California in 1942. The family property was developed in 1993 and was fittingly named Stonegate Village. 
Back to top
  Our Lady of Victory Academy
Our Lady of Victory Academy opened on September 25, 1922 shortly after the Columbus Catholic Diocese purchased the four-acre Merkle estate at the corner of Cardington and Roxbury and established Our Lady of Victory Parish. Prior to building a church in 1923 and a school in 1931, the Merkle mansion served as a church, convent, and school. Fifty-one students were initially enrolled. Three nuns from the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth conducted classes, and tuition was one dollar per month. This photograph, donated by Dorothy Lang, shows the first eighth grade graduation class of four boys and four girls with their pastor, Monsignor Thomas Nolan (center). They are standing with their diplomas in front of the main entrance to the original chapel on Roxbury Road in the spring of 1929.
Back to top
  Reed & Herrick
William Reed (left) and Hobart Herrick (right) are shown inside Herrick and Reed Groceries at the northeast corner of Wyandotte and Fifth Avenues in 1914. Herrick sold his interest to Reed in 1916 and the store was renamed the Wyandotte Market (it was until recently the Stewart Wine store). Typical of the period, shopping was not the hands-on experience we know today. Cans were stacked on high shelves behind the counter, and fresh and seasonal local produce were stacked in baskets around the interior of the store. Clients presented the grocer lists and groceries were retrieved for them by the clerks. There were no shopping carts, and home deliveries with the store truck were the norm. The store also had a small Auto Filling Station pump outside the front door on the sidewalk.
Back to top
  Ezio Cherubini
The Italian Heritage, published by the GHMCHS in 1985, states that in 1902 there were 1100 Italians living in Franklin County. Approximately one hundred of them were men working as laborers at the various stone quarries in Marble Cliff. Many of these workers were brought to this country by Columbus steamship agent Ezio (Sam) Cherubini (above), whose offices were at Spruce and Front Streets. Ezio arrived in Columbus in 1891 and was initially sponsored by his prominent uncle, John Marzetti. He became the area’s first Italian banker in 1910 and developed the business block at 509-525 N. Park Street. Many of the immigrant laborers were single men who lived at the “Italian Club” where monthly rent was one dollar, a very affordable rate for workers whose daily pay ranged from seventy-five cents to two dollars. Blacksmiths were at the top of the pay scale.
Back to top
  Pugh Residence
In June of 1903 John C. L. Pugh (inset) and his wife Mary Frisbie Pugh purchased lots 290 and 291 in the J. R. Tilton’s Subdivision on the northwest corner of First Avenue and Wyandotte Road. In 1913 they built this classic four square home on lot 291. John Pugh was born in 1855 and was educated in Columbus public schools. He graduated from Princeton in 1876 and was admitted to the bar later the same year. His law offices were located on High near State Street. He enjoyed a reputation as a skilled civil and criminal litigator and in1898 was elected to the seventy-third Ohio General Assembly, serving as Senator from the 10th district.  Mary Pugh was the daughter of the prominent Columbus grocery store magnate, Charles Harrison Frisbie. John Pugh died in 1916 and his widow owned the home until 1921.It is currently owned by Rodger and Jennie Wilson.  Forty-five years later, in 1966, another house was built on the corner on lot 290.
Back to top
  Twin Rivers Golf Course
Twin Rivers Golf Course, originally called Municipal Golf Course, was an 18-hole course on the southeast side of Grandview that opened March 7, 1921. This was about the time the Aladdin Country Club in Marble Cliff was closing. It was bounded by Twin Rivers Drive on the east, Dublin Road to the south, and the rail road tracks to the north (to the right of the photo). The clubhouse (top inset) was located at 860 Dublin Road, just to the left of the lake in the photo. This Grandview landmark was eliminated by freeway construction in 1956. Joe Thomas (bottom inset) was a local golf legend and pro at Twin Rivers. He started as a caddy at Arlington Country Club, and at 17 was the first to hold a caddy pin at the Scioto Country Club when it was dedicated in 1916. When the Twin Rivers course closed he was asked by then Columbus Mayor James A. Rhodes to find a venue for another municipal course, and Joe founded the Raymond Memorial course on Trabue Road. He remained as golf-pro there until his retirement in 1968.
Back to top
  Grandview Mens Club Wedding
This professional, posed photograph descended through the family of GHMC Historical Society president Tracy Liberatore. Her great grandfather, Horace Willoughby, is at the far left in the back row. The caption indicates that the photograph is the “Men’s Club in Grandview” and dates from approximately 1923 (we have been unable to determine the affiliation of the men’s club.) The subjects are all males and they are participating in a “mock wedding” on the stage of the GHHS auditorium. A mock wedding is a parody, a bit of folk theater in which people dress up in ridiculous fashion and go through a ridiculous ceremony. The very tall bride, short groom, hefty ring bearer, and burly flower girls all suggest that this was a comic production. The elaborate, detailed, well-fitting costumes, together with the professional photograph, suggest that this was an important production, perhaps a fundraiser. Horace Willoughby was an influential Grandview citizen and owner of the Ross-Willoughby Company. His family home at 1143 Westwood will be on the historical society’s tour of homes May 13.
Back to top
  Lanman Mansion - Burgess & Niple
Sixty-years after it was installed, the opulent marble fireplace remained a focal point in what was originally the living area of the Lanman mansion at 2015 West Fifth Avenue. This 1968 photo shows clerical employees of the Burgess and Niple civil engineering firm hard at work at their desks with electric typewriters. The home was designed and luxuriously appointed in 1908 by noted Columbus architect Frank Packard. Built for the Lanman family prior to the introduction of federal income tax, during a period of unabashed wealth for many early Columbus industrialists, the large Tudor mansion became the corporate headquarters for Burgess and Niple in 1953. The engineering firm moved to new headquarters in 1974. The Lanman home retains many of its original appointments, including many such fireplaces, and has remained a commercial venue, currently under the ownership of Marble Cliff Manor, LLC. It will be featured as part of the GHMCHS home tour May 13.
Back to top
  5the Avenue Stagecoach
Prior to the turn of the last century, before the arrival of the streetcar, access roads to the area that would eventually become the Village of Marble Cliff and the City of Grandview Heights were limited. The main north-south road was Dublin Pike (now Riverside Drive, or Dublin Road), which followed the Scioto Indian trail. The main east-west road was Fifth Avenue. It had a toll booth near Kenny Road, and wagons had to ford the Olentangy river because there was no bridge. The stagecoach shown above was used in 1896 to transport passengers along Fifth Avenue. The picture is originally from James T. Miller family collection. The 300-acre Miller farm was developed into Upper Arlington after 1913.
Back to top
  Nick Botti
Nicholas Botti was born in Rutino, Italy in 1887 and arrived in Columbus, Ohio when he was 16. He initially worked in his sponsor family’s grocery store, spent time working in the Carmen Spaghetti factory on Goodale Avenue, and finally settled on being a barber. His first barbershop was located on Goodale and known as Nick’s Place. He relocated his family to Grandview Heights and opened The Village Barbershop at 1668 West First Avenue in 1920. The photo on the right shows the interior of the shop which occupied the east side of the building (upper right) The west side of his building was leased to various tenants. Nick Botti became a master gardener and maintained a garden to the rear of the barbershop (upper left and middle). He was especially renowned for the quality of his strawberries and grapes. Nick Botti died in 1974 at the age of 87. The Laura Gregory Hair Salon currently occupies the shop on First.
Back to top
  RLS 3rd Grade Opera
The third grade class from Stevenson Elementary presented an original opera entitled Choices, Changes, Rearranges on Tuesday May 22, 2007 in the school auditorium. Their opera was written to celebrate Grandview Heights and Marble Cliff history, and the setting was the Grandview Library. The title reinforces the concept that choices people made yesterday affect our lives today and the choices we make today can affect tomorrow. All 71 students created and participated in the multimedia presentation which included original songs, a slide show, and various dance routines. Operas and operettas are a long-standing tradition at R.L. Stevenson Elementary School dating back to the school’s opening in 1927 when they were used as fundraisers. Recently they have become part of the local history curriculum, which uses the Grandview Heights Marble Cliff Historical website as a resource.
Back to top
  Grandview Turtle
Grandview Police Chief Robert “Rancho” Livingston is rescuing a turtle at the corner of First and Virginia Avenues in this 1948 photograph, using a shovel to place the turtle in the city’s radio cruiser. Befitting the times he is wearing a suit and his trademark hat. The identity of the children is unknown as are the circumstances surrounding the photograph. It is not known whether this was a candid shot or staged as part of a municipal promotion. Nonetheless, it is a testimony to the high level of community services historically enjoyed by the citizens of Grandview Heights and Marble Cliff. If anyone can identify any of the children in the photograph please contact the GHMCHS.
Back to top
  Ruth Willoughby
Ruth Willoughby is shown standing in the front yard of her family home at 1143 Westwood around 1917. The view is facing east towards Elmwood Avenue and the home in the left background is 1156 Westwood. Grandview Heights was incorporated in 1906, yet the area was still sparsely developed and was rural by today’s standards. In the background are various small out buildings and very few homes. Early residents kept chickens, goats, rabbits, and larger live stock animals on their property and small barns and chicken coops were common throughout the area. Tom Williams, who as a young boy lived in the former Willoughby home from 1929 until 1943, raised pigeons there with his brother.
Back to top
  Wilkinson Residence
These two photographs show the progression of construction of the home built for Charlotte Wilkinson in 1913 at 1964 Cardington in Marble Cliff. Charlotte was a widow who moved to Columbus from Ironton, Ohio with her 4 children so they could attend Ohio State University. Her husband, a West Point graduate, died while serving during the Indian wars in the western United States in the latter part of the nineteenth century. She also took in boarders to help make ends meet. The home has remained in the family for 94 years and is currently owned by her great-granddaughter Gail Johannes and her husband Bill. The top right photo was taken soon after it was built and shows the home of Roark family to the west of it, and the lower right photo was taken in 1950. The porch and the area on the second floor with the plants around it have since been enclosed.
Back to top
  I-670 Interchange at Grandview Avenue
This 1970s photo shows Grandview Avenue from bottom to top over the incomplete I-670 freeway (at the time referred to as Alt I-70). The upper left of the photo shows a working stone quarry, which is now the location of the Arbors of Watermark Apartments and business park. Planning for the freeway was completed in 1971, and it was originally intended to be called I-70, with I-70 and I-71 overlapping through downtown. In 1976 it was re-designated as I-670 as part of a new master plan for a Columbus innerbelt connecting I-70 and I-270 at the airport. Financial problems resulted in this dead-end section of the road, and new environmental legislation, including a moratorium on re-routing the Scioto River, delayed the continuation of the freeway until it was finally opened in 2002.
Back to top
  Girls on Bikes
This 1896 photograph, from the Alleyne Higgs collection of the Grandview Heights Marble Cliff Historical Society, shows two women posing with their bicycles. The bicycle in front is a Lindsay Roadster, made in Indiana between 1895 and 1898, and the bicycle in back is likely a Columbia Bicycle, based on the shape and details of the frame. The clothing styles were typical of the time, as shown in a catalogue ad from 1895 at the right. Many of the dresses had tabs attached at the bottom so that the skirt could be tied around the calf to form "bloomers" to keep it out of the spokes.
Back to top
  Emily Moelchert
Emily Wilkinson Moelchert, who resided at 1964 Cardigan, posed with these Brown Swiss dairy cows at the intersection of Cardigan and Dublin Road in Marble Cliff around 1918. (At the time Cardigan extended completely through to Dublin Road from the intersection of Roxbury.) The photograph depicts a good example of the many limestone fences that lined Dublin Road. The cows were owned by the Willits Sawyer family who lived on a three-acre estate at 1499 Roxbury which comprised the entire western portion of Roxbury between Cardigan and Third. Mr. Sawyer was the Director of Transportation for New York City before moving to Marble Cliff, where his family supplied milk and cream to the local residents. Emily lived to be 101 and attributed part of her longevity to the Sawyer family’s fresh dairy products.
Back to top
  Mary Leaman
This 1934 photograph shows Mary Leaman, a 1933 graduate of Grandview Heights High School, posing on the ladder of the diving board at the Grandview Pool. The photo is from the collection of Ruth Shoemaker (class of 1934), shown in the inset reading a book at the pool. Shoemaker lived at the corner of First Avenue and Grandview Avenue, and Leaman lived on Wyandotte Road just north of First. The caption of the photo reads in part "Step right up, gentlemen, and enjoy a bit of romance with your drowning."
Back to top
  Dude Higgs and the Lindenbergs
This photo, circa 1922, was taken from a card labeled "Merry Christmas Dude, from the Lindenbergs". Dude, shown sitting in front holding the stuffed toy, was Dude (Frank) Higgs, who lived on Lincoln Road. The Lindenbergs were from a prominent Marble Cliff family that lived in what was known as the Country Club Subdivision, now Tarpy Woods. Dude Higgs later was a pilot with the Chinese National Aviation Company, and was killed in a crash in 1945 while flying to Shanghai. He was the model for the character Dude Hennick from a popular comic strip "Terry and the Pirates" created by his friend and OSU fraternity brother Milton Caniff. The last strip that Dude was in was published on Christmas Day in 1945, and the original is in the Cartoon Research Library collection at OSU.
Back to top

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


View next 6 months
August 2007 - February, 2008

Go to Main ThisWeek Listing