The top photograph is of a structure called the Inn at Arlington. The bottom photo is taken of the Sylvio
Casparis residence, which is enlarged to show evidence that the Inn at Arlington was located just behind it
to the East (in the distance in the lower left of the photo of the Casparis house). See more historical notes
at the bottom of the page after the photos.
This structure's existence was noted in the 1976 GHMCHS publication, "Sheltering a Heritage."
The Lindenberg family bible cited that the Charles Lindenberg family rented a home called
the "Inn" in Arlington, as Marble Cliff was known then, during the summer of 1903. Other
data indicate that this home was one of several structures that existed on the 17 acres originally
purchased by Mr. John F. Miller, from the Arlington Place developers Timothy J. Price and family.
Mr. Miller was an executive with the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, St. Louis, and Chicago RR Company
and resided in Richmond, Indiana. It is assumed that he built this home, along with the Frick/McKay
home at 1600 Roxbury, as well as a home on Arlington Ave as rentals. Deed searches reveal a long
history of leases associated with the land. Reference is also made to this house as the temporary
meeting place of the Arlington Riding and Golf Club. Early newspaper articles describe various
events held on the property. This picture was recently obtained from the Upper Arlington
Historical Society with a legend indicating that it was diagonally across from convent on the
Our Lady of Victory property. Its precise location was only recently determined after examining
computer scans of other historic photographs of the area near Cardigan and Roxbury.
Research has shown that the structure, which no longer exists, was located just North of Cardington
on Roxbury. The Inn was most likely razed in 1908 by Mr. Bush,
who bought 4.7 acres from Mr. Miller in 1907 the prior to the construction of his new mansion
which has been subsequently integrated in St. Raphael's Home for the Aged.