Built in 1950 across from the Edison Elementary School on the site of the old Harding School building,
the annex was an award-winning design that incorporated furniture and facilities that were built to the
needs of the kindergarten student. Door handles were lower, furniture was smaller, lockers were kid-sized, etc.
It also had a fully equipped kitchen, and everything was done in "cheerful"
colors and styles that were attractive to kids of this age. All of the photos below were from a feature story
in Ohio Schools magazine, and were also part of a photo spread in the Columbus Citizen Journal.
Front of building
Mrs. Kathryn Bloom and students at the "child-sized" furniture
Mrs. Albert Castenada at the piano; Mrs Bloom fixes lunch in the kitchen area
Mrs. Bloom serves breakfast on the "stage"; all areas, including the coat room, are sized to the kindergarten student.